This article is about a scientist, Jay Neitz, and his team at the University of Washington. They led a research to help give monkeys a more colorful life. These Squirrel monkeys, Sam and Dalton, lack the proteins that enable them to see red and green. They gave one of the monkeys a helpful virus to give them the proteins they need to see these colors, while the other ate the same food like usual. To test their experiment, after 20 weeks they showed the monkey a grid of colored and grey dots. For an award of getting the correct color they got grape juice. Before the gene therapy they could easily see yellow and blue dots, and now Sam and Dalton can pick out the colors, red and green I believe this is a hard experiment to determine if it did work or not. I think this because you can't see what they are seeing and it could possibly be that they are seeing different shades of blue and yellow, like it says in the article. Also, I wonder how they knew what gene they needed/ what virus they needed to take to improve their eyesight. Lastly, i wonder how they came up with the idea of improving a monkeys eyesight to see more colors. I would love to hear more about their story and if it did help colorblind people see again.
Source:
No comments:
Post a Comment